Everyday Part 1: Spirulina Smoothie

Wednesday 13 July 2016

People often ask what I eat as a "healthy" vegan. I have heard complaints that it is hard to be vegan and be healthy because so many often make the mistake of trying to replace animal products in their diets. The truth is there is some pretty good substitutions out there if you are looking for some good old fashion comfort food. But when you are looking to stay on the healthy track, you need to open your mind a little.

Forget about what your diet was like before and start replacing it with new, healthier items. Think of it this way: dairy, which is a huge part of many North American diets is terrible for you. Milk is a substance specifically made by mother cows to make their babies gain 500 lbs over the course of a year. Yikes. But don't feel bad because cheese has a protein called casein in it, which basically makes it as addictive as cocaine... So, I get it. You like your damn (not the word I wanted to use here) cheese. Too bad you need a lightning speed metabolism and a stomach of steel to eat it.

Our bodies are built to be lazy. Naturally they want to consume as many possible calories with the least amount of effort. So YEAH we crave really crappy high fat foods. It is called the pleasure trap. If you are interested in this, watch the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrXOXAPcHEw



ANYWAYS- This recipe is one I use often. It is healthy, helps my skin clear up and gives me my IRON needs! YAY IRON.

Some say spirulina is an acquired taste, but I love it! Maybe it is because I'm used to it, but I really CRAVE the taste of it. YUM. Here are some benefits of spirulina:

  • antioxidant (very powerful)
  • very helpful for those with anemia (low in iron) 
  • aids the immune system
  • prevents cancer 
  • reduces stress, anxiety and nervousness (eating for your mental well being YAY)
  • fortifies and restores sheen to hair and nails 
  • reduces high cholesterol
  • MORE http://en.mr-ginseng.com/spirulina/ 


Ingredients:

  • 3 frozen bananas
  • 1 tbsp spirulina powder
  • 1 cup almond/soy/coconut milk (whatever I have around)
  • 1 cup ice
  • 1 cup water (if needed- depends on the consistency you like)
  • 2-3 tbsp maple syrup or agave 
Method:
  • put it all in a blender
  • blend!
  • drink it up

No comments:

Post a Comment